Ard Chúram Day Care Centre is located in Greenville Listowel and offers a client centred programme of activities in a safe, supportive, cheerful environment. It offers the opportunity to relax and rejuvenate, socialise and meet new friends. Nutritious meals and snacks which accommodate special diets are provided. Trained staff members are on hand to assist with medical concerns and to provide any support clients may require. To be able to offer this invaluable service and to extend it to as many people as possible we continually need to raise funds
Ard Chúram Day Care Centre
In 2006 a public meeting was held for the purpose of setting up a voluntary community group that would follow through on the vision of a Day Care Centre for North Kerry, as it was the only area in the county that did not benefit from such services, even though one in four older people in the area live on their own.
A committee was formed with the objective of procuring a suitable site and to initiate fundraising. Concerts and Church Gate collections were held, donations were gratefully accepted and applications for Grant Assistance to the HSE, National Lottery and NEKD were successful. Ard Chúram was one of the designated Charites for the 2014 Ring of Kerry Charity Cycle and this proved a considerable boost to the fundraising.
The procurement of a suitable site became problematical due to the then highly inflated land prices. However a site was donated by the HSE to the group in the grounds of Listowel Community Hospital directly opposite Aras Mhuire, upon which a new purpose built Day Care Centre was constructed.
In 2007 our committee formed a company, North Kerry Day Care Centre Ltd. This has now been changed. The new company name, under which we now operate is Ard Chúram Day Care Centre – North Kerry CLG. Our company is limited by guarantee and is a registered charity. It is fully compliant with all tax and auditing requirements and the directors and members offer their services in a voluntary capacity.
With encouragement, mentoring and financial assistance from the HSE the company is now operating a 6 day service from this new facility in Greenville.
Ard Chúram Day Care Centre
Aims and objectives
- To provide a setting where older people, who have limited opportunity to socialise within their community, can enjoy the company of others.
- To develop a range of services and activities that can be accessed by older people’s groups.
- To provide a midday meal and morning snack to supplement patron’s dietary needs.
- To provide a range of recreational activities to support patrons mental and physical well being.
- To provide professional services that patron’s can use for an economic fee.
- To provide meaningful engagement for older people in the North Kerry community.
- To encourage a respectful approach to the care of our older people.
- To support the older person in our community in partnership with families, carers, the HSE and other relevant public and private organisations.
- To provide information for older people so that they can make informed decisions in respect of their lifestyles and entitlements.